This FAQ is to help those users who have gone thought the following basic steps but are still having trouble linking their bank accounts to Cheqbook.
If you're trying to add a bank for the first time, and you've gone through the steps in that FAQ, it's a sign you'll have problems with staying linked to that financial institution. There are 10,000 banks we connect to through our partner MX, but some don't work well.
- Delete any attempts to link an account and start from scratch. That sometimes works if the submission was interrupted before establishing that first, clean connection.
- Please submit a ticket. We can reach out to our data provider MX and inquire for you, and your ticket will allow us to research it.
HOWEVER, if this is an existing linked bank account that stopped working, different errors can occur.
- If you're getting an "Action Required" warning, that account needs to be re-authenticated. This can happen for over a dozen reasons, including change of password, too many failed logins, incorrect security questions, the bank changed it's sign on protocols, or other handshaking errors. Please follow the prompts to do so and the problem will usually correct itself, but see note* below.
- Sometimes your bank changes the "name" of the account in their online banking system. Notify us of this right away noting the bank account that's causing problems and we will do a "reset" of the connection. This clears the mapping from the previous bank "name" and allows you to map it back to the correct linked account in Cheqbook. This requires you do a re-authentication. An account "name" varies, sometimes "Free Business Checking" becomes "Economy Business Checking" or suchlike.
- If you're getting any other errors, please submit a ticket with a complete description. We will advise as soon as possible but connection issues can take several weeks to fix at best.
If It's Urgent
In the meantime, if you desperately need to update your books, you can still import transactions using this method:
If you import transactions to a linked account, be sure to RECONCILE through the date of import immediately or the transactions will duplicate when the connection is reestablished. Cheqbook will not accept new transactions after the date of the last reconciled transactions, so that's a great way to avoid this problem.
Hopefully this guidance helps. This is amazing time saving technology, when it works. It gets slowly better over time, but some banks are very difficult. We use Cheqbook ourselves, and have learned the hard way which of our local banks work and which ones don't. Good luck!
*Note: every time your local bank changes their security procedures or ANY other aspect of their online website, data providers like MX have to rework their code to get your data. This can go quickly or take up to 6-8 weeks. This can also result in data errors when it first reconnects until they get it right. We here at Cheqbook often get the brunt of that frustration, because your Cheqbook account isn't getting data or can't connect, but we have no control over it. We don't handle the connection to your online banking, currently MX does that for us and with 10,000 financial institutions periodically changing online banking websites they have a continuous challenge on their hands. Please be patient.